We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers...

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Biopsy Rescheduled...


I'm back... from San Diego.  Got in about 8:30 last night and made it to the hospital around 10pm.  Mom had just got up to use the restroom, so I didn't have to wake her to say 'hi' before she went back to sleep. 

Dad and JJ gave me some information on the past couple of days and I read over the notes everyone took turns taking as they visited.  For the most part, things seemed pretty consistant;
  • Blood Pressure: Good
  • Oxygen: Good
  • Sugar: Mostly high, but that was expected.  They added a long lasting type of insulin shot to her medication list.
  • Temperature: Low grade fever coming and going.  Not above 100 degrees.
  • Pain: Still consistant, but she was going longer periods of time before needing the next dose... From 4 hours to about 6 hours.

Some of the notes I wasn't sure of - doctor noticed swelling in the left leg.  I have to ask about that.

Some I had been filled in about over the phone.  The one I mentioned in my last post was about the blood clot.  Mom was feeling pain in her right leg and unable to place any weight on it when she tried to stand up.  An xray revealed that there was a blood clot.  The hospitalist doctor consulted with her neuro doctor and decided to place her on a low-dose of IV administered Heparin.  In addition, they inserted a filter in her carotid artery to "catch" the clot should it try to travel up to her brain.  I don't have many details on it except for what I have tried to Google.  I'd rather get more information from her doctor...

She's been working with her therapists (speech, physical and occupational) and had some ice cubes a few days ago.  Dad thought she did well, but they haven't introduced and liquids or purees back into her diet yet.

I feel like I've been gone for weeks.  Mom looked weaker to me, but I also came in very late.  With working through the day, I haven't got to see her at her most alert hours.  But I've heard she does good and is very responsive and even watched a movie with the boys a day or two ago.

When I told her I was leaving this morning, she puckered up to give me a kiss right away (usually I have to bug her for one) and she lifted her arm to give me a hug.  She tried to say something to me and I've noticed (in talking to her on the phone and from what the family says) that she is making more sounds.  More than "ya ya ya". 

I guess since her fever hasn't been over 100 degrees for several days, they have scheduled her biopsy for tomorrow morning at 7:30am.  At that time they will also perform surgery to remove the cyst on her ovary.

Thanks for all your thoughts and prayers for mom.

xox,
Tommy

No comments:

Post a Comment