We appreciate all of your thoughts and prayers...

Saturday, January 29, 2011

I like to call her "Yeah-Yeah"..

Dad had finally went home (his first night since this happened) and I stayed the night. Even though they had brought in a cot for us, I just reclined in the chair next to her bed. It's the most anxious I've been (and I have been pretty anxious lately) and I couldn't help but open my eyes every several minutes to check her heart rate, blood pressure and oxygen levels. Her blood pressure had been stabilized with the fluids they were giving her during the day, but in the nightime, it had been going down again.

Finally, about 2am, she became really fidgety. It was the most alert I had seen her. She even gave me a kiss. Before that, she wasn't even opening her eyes when we talked to her. She affirmed that she wanted to use the bathroom and used a lot of her own strength to stand up and get to the comode. I rested a bit more comfortably after that.

At about 9am she started to exhibit signs of pain and discomfort. I was scared as I saw her heart rate and blood pressure increase and her oxygen levels decrease. It wasn't until about 11:30am that the doctors decided to give her Lasix. The Lasix was supposed to help remove some of the fluids that were given to her yesterday and increase her blood pressure. It seemed to work quickly and it helped her to calm down. They also increased her pain medication to full dose. It was a rough couple and a half hours, but she finally started looking better and resting comfortably in the afternoon.

Although she was in pain, it was good to see her more alert; responding to her name and answering "yeah, yeah" to every question we asked her. She even sat in her chair, although reclining, for a good hour or so. She was very happy to have some visitors in the afternoon, especially grandchildren Sophia and Mateo who shared their latest sporting endeavors with her. Sitting in the chair also seemed to help her breathing. I hope she will be able to do more tomorrow. I'll be happy with a good night's sleep for her though.

So... today was definitely better than yesterday. But, she is still in ICU and her condition is still critical. Please continue to pray for stable vitals and for her to be able to clear the junk out of her chest, or at the very least, it not to get worse.

By the way... if anyone happens to know where I can get some no-rinse shampoo caps, please let me know. Mom hasn't had a good hair washing for over a week and I'm sure it would give her great comfort to have it done. The no-rinse gunk they have here is kinda gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment